Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sewing

At the moment I'm reupholstering a motorcycle seat with fake leather and bandanas. My boyfriend bought his bike about a month ago. He got an awesome deal, $1500 for a 2005 883 sportster. The catch was that the bike was in a garage fire buuuut the motor is fine so only exterior things like cables and switches need to be replaced. Thus I now have a new sewing project. It's deeming itself very difficult though, I've never attempted an upholstery like this, I've done seats and such but this has to fitted and BADASS. The badass part is the hard part because people look at details when it comes to motorcycles. Seats and couch covers are easy because they don't have to be precise and they can look crafty.
I love to sew. I'm not sure if I sew correctly though because I teach myself. That's the fun part, thinking of how to go about making it then designing everything about it. I love taking raw materials like flat fabric and making it into something that people can use and enjoy. Not many people think they can sew and think the things I make are amazing but really I bet if they tried they could do it. I've made lots of really cool blankets. One had a rebel flag with a skull and crossbones on one side and the chevy emblem on the other. The most recent blanket had cockateil on one side dressed like elvis costello and it read "Elvis is king" and the other side had a guiness bottle on it. Everything was sewn directly out of my mind peiced out of different colored fabrics.
I made a wookie pillow once for my friend's birthday. I took hairy fabric and a slipper and created the wookie pillow.
I've been getting really frustrated lately because my sewing machine has been jamming terribly on me and it's annoying because nobody has sewing machines to borrow these days and I have no idea how to go about fixing one. I think it's about time I learn to tear it apart and rebuild it. Like a motor.
My next project which the leather just came in the mail for is Steve's leather jacket because he's a dumbass and burned the sleeve on an exhaust.
Hopefully next spring if I have an extra $600 laying around I can take welding classes at the tech school and start making things out of metal!

2 comments:

  1. Metal work sounds cool. i wish i had $600 lying around to learn a craft like that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to sew!! my mom taught me a little bit on her machine and then i took a sewing class in high school! I would let you borrow my sewing achine but my sister told me it wasn't wokring( and my sister doesn't sew so how she knows it's not working im not sure)!! That's awesome about the bike though! My friend randy just promised me a ride on his and I can barely even contain my excitement!!

    ReplyDelete